Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Neither here nor there # 1

One of the small marvels of my first trip to Europe was the discovery that the world could be so full of variety, that there were so many different ways of doing essentially identical things, like eating and drinking and buying cinema tickets. It fascinated me that Europeans could at once be so alike - that they could be so universally bookish and cerebral, and drive small cars, and live in little houses in ancient towns, and love soccer, and be relatively unmaterialistic and law-abiding, and have chilly hotel rooms and cosy and inviting places to eat and drink - and yet be so endlessly, unpredictably different from each other as well. I loved the idea that you could never be sure of anything in Europe.
[...]
When I told friends in London that I was going to travel around Europe and write a book about it, they said, 'Oh, you must speak a lot of languages.'
'Why, no,' I would reply with a certain pride, 'only English,' and they would look at me as if I were crazy. But that's the glory of foreign travel, as far as I am concerned. I don't want to know what people are talking about. I can't think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can't read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can't even reliably cross the street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.

Neither here nor there, Bill Bryson

3 comments:

M.J. said...

interessante!=)


mas podias por estas quotes dos books que les no nosso site dos books around the courner, né?


va...
LOL

sahara said...

hum, concordo com tudo o que ele diz no excerto que colocaste, especialmente a primeira parte de 'sermos' semelhantes apesar das nossas diferenças. é como dar uma volta ao quarteirão, achas familiar e ao mesmo tempo sabes que não há nada like home. :)

estás a aguçar-me o apetite para ler bryson, que coisa! :P

beijo *

Kepster said...

"I can't think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything."

"Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses."

Lindo! Faz me lembrar a nossa viagem a Paris e do tempo que lá estive sozinho sem voces! Saudades...