Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

525 600 minutes and many conquests

A year ago I was sad. I had flunked Translation Studies and would have the next school year to try and make it up. And afterwards... who knows?, staying at my dad's and get a job. No big deal, just random steps in a general direction into adulthood. And then - at more or less this precise hour - I went to dinner with friends and somewhat of a stranger. And my life changed. Something in me suddenly wanted to leap, for real. Huge plans started emerging in my head, bolder than anything I've attempted before. And this time I didn't settle for just planning; I acted on it.

A year has passed and here I am. I've accomplished more than I've ever did in a year. In just one week I crammed my brain out and got a great mark on Translation Studies. I worked in a sort of bookshop. I did an internship. I wrote my internship report. I did a Spanish A2 course. I ran so many errands for my uncle and my family. My uncle died. I took care of his belongings and the house. I travelled abroad alone. I went to France. I went to the UK three times. I watched a musical all by myself. I got stuck in London Bridge in the dead of night and still managed to get home safe and not freak out. I scrimped and saved enough money for the first few months in a new home in a new country. I fell in love and am happily planning my life with someone by my side.

I learned a lot. And God knows it wasn't easy. I had to let go of so many things I love. Dancing, acting, being on stage. Going out with friends, or even alone. Books, movies, running - I didn't have time for any of it. But I don't regret it one bit. Cuz I gained so much more in return. And more than ever I can say I am my own person. And I can't put a price on that. And so here's to a new chapter, just about to get started.

No comments: