Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Maybe I should become a total Tolkien geek

Question: why do we feel so much attracted to stuff that's bad for us? As Grey put it, what's up with the need to hit the self-destruct button?
.
I stand here with a tiny amount of free time, you'd think I'd use it on some real amusement, some form of entertainment that would leave me light-hearted, relaxed and ready (though not exactly anxious) to go back to work. Well think again! I haven't crossed the line yet, but all my whimsical instincts are already demanding some idiotic girlish junk. The wrong movies, the wrong manga, the wrong novels, the wrong tv shows, the wrong everything.
.
Why? Why would any part of me ask for something I know will make me crawl into bed, tuck myself up to my nose and wish not having to emerge ever again? Is it some estrogen-related thing that you really can't control? Or is it just maybe that old habits die hard? Anyway, this time I'm putting my foot down and whether this is the product of some loooong brainwashing program or my hormones talking here, I'm determined to succeed.

No comments: