Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

It takes a village

Where I grew up the policy was to always help others but never ask for help yourself, unless it was absolutely unavoidable. Each person should learn how to fix their own problems. A person's burdens, secrets, problems and worries should be kept private. No telling or sharing, no asking for a helping hand. Also displays of affection where uncommon and perceived as unnecessary; people should know for themselves their were loved and that was it.

I'm not like that. Nor do I want to be. I'm more of a it takes a village philosophy. People helping each other, talking, sharing and letting other people know they care. I ask for help all the time. Not because I can't handle it on my own (of course I sometimes can't; what to say? I'm only human), but a lot of times because I want to let people in, to let them be involved in my life. If helping others makes me feel so good and useful (and happy for the other person that no longer has a problem) why on earth should I feel embarassed to ask for help myself? And I'm a blabbermouth about my life. Seriously! I share my troubles like you wouldn't believe. Yes, sometimes I go a little overboard. But what are friends for if not to tell me to shut my big yapper? As for affection; I'm still getting used to it. But I'm bound to get there someday soon :)

I like people. Honest! Big fan here! And I want to let them in. It's that simple. And why not a village?

No comments: