Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Shields that become walls

When I was a kid my dad used to tell me this made-up story at bedtime about a little girl with a cold nose. She was sad because her nose was always as cold as a dog's. After some complaining, the little girl got her grandmother to knit her a sort of small cloak to cover the nose and keep it warm. The girl's happiness gradually faded away when she realized that her covered nose didn't allow her to smell the roses in the garden or a hot bowl of soup. (Hey, it's been a long time since I tried to remember this, so cut me some slack!).

Real life is not that far from that story. Sometimes you try to protect yourself to a point where you end up shutting life out. Like the bit about the rollerblades in Home Alone 2:
"I had a nice pair of rollerblades. I was afraid to wreck them, so I kept them in a box. Do you know what happened? I outgrew them. I never worn them outside. Only in my room a few times."

This not brain surgery here, it's just a simple home truth. The heart is meant to be used. Even if it means getting it broken a few times. And taking a chance is so worth it. Really. I don't care what people think. Sometimes playing it safe doesn't get you anywhere. Sometimes the best you can possibly do is just believe and take a step forward. And who knows what wondrous things you might find?

No comments: