Pages

Thursday, February 03, 2011

On Black Swan

Having read mixed reviews I didn't really know what to expect from it. Yes, it would be dark, and yes, I would probably jump off my seat a couple times.

Well, as it turns out, I liked it waaay more than expected. I'm not really a hater or a lover as I've seen out there in the web. I wouldn't say it's an absolute must-see. I appreciate the brilliance of it (because it is indeed amazing), but it's not for every one. I mean, it's a movie about a neurotic ballerina that being the perfect Odete (the white swan) is struggling to interpret Odile (the black swan). Not really for every taste, I'd say...

Natalie Portman is nothing short of brilliant, but then again - to me at least - she has become one of those actresses that you just expect to see excel herself every time. A bit like Meryl Streep. So, when you just get into your head that whatever she does she'll be brilliant at it... it kinda sucks the fun out of it, I'm afraid...

So... four stars, I'd say. It deserves every single oscar it's nominated for. Oh, and a minor aspect - it certainly puts a person off the idea of losing weight after so much skin and bone.

No comments: