Pages

Saturday, June 03, 2006

The importance of being Earnest - Muffins!

Jack: How you can sit there, calmly eating muffins when we are in this horrible trouble, I can’t make out. You seem to me to be perfectly heartless.
Algernon: Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.
Jack: I say it’s perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances.
Algernon: When I am in trouble, eating is the only thing that consoles me. Indeed, when I am in really great trouble, as anyone who knows me intimately will tell you, I refuse everything except food and drink. At the present moment I am eating muffins because I am unhappy. Besides, I am particularly fond of muffins. (rising)
Jack (rising): Well, that is no reason why you should eat them all in that greedy way. (takes muffins from Algernon)
Algernon (offering tea-cake): I wish you would have tea-cake instead. I don’t like tea-cake.
Jack: Good heavens! I suppose a man may eat his own muffins in his own garden.
Algernon: But you have just said it was perfectly heartless to eat muffins.
Jack: I said it was perfectly heartless of you, under the circumstances. That is a very different thing.
Algernon: That may be. But the muffins are the same. (he seizes the muffin-dish from Jack)

4 comments:

sancie said...

This play... good god, this play... :D

Perfect, every bit of it!

******************************

Tati said...

pois..não vi mas o excerto tá fixe, tem graça:P nao posso comentar muito mais lol

marina said...

já comecei a ver isso...mas mais umam vez a minha falta de paciência ultimamente para ver filmes levou a melhor...

:S ******************

sahara said...

oh ainda não li nem vi, mas já encontrei o dvd e fiquei com curiosidade :)

muffins faz-me lembrar a marrokos e a inês no primeiro jantar no palácio da martinha :P

que gozação hehe

beijo grande*